Miss Stella Merkyaa, a100 level student of Benue State School of Nursing and Midwifery, Makurdi, was severely burnt from head to toe in a gas explosion which occurred at the institution on Sunday.
Speaking to newsmen on the cause of the incident, the principal of the school Mrs. Victoria Gusa, said the explosion occurred at the 3rd floor of the female hostel and was caused by a gas cylinder used in cooking.
She added that Stella had returned from church on Sunday and was preparing her lunch inside her hostel when the gas cooker exploded and burnt her severely.
“It exploded in one of the rooms, engulfed the student who was cooking and burnt her severely from head to toe. As I speak now, Stella cannot turn her body. She is at the intensive unit of the Federal Medical Centre, Apir. She lost a lot of fluid even though she talks but it is incoherent,? the principal said.
The principal who pleaded with the state government to assist in the treatment of the burnt student, said that the mother of the student could not raise the sum of N40,000 requested by the hospital as deposit before Stella would be treated.
“Stella has been in Accident and Emergency ward instead of Intensive Care Unit due to our inability to deposit N40,000. The situation is pathetic, we don?t have money and the mother of the victim do not also have,? Mrs Gusa lamented.
The Deputy Governor of Benue State, Benson Abounu described the incident as unfortunate He said this today while sympathizing with the management of the institution and used the avenue to assess the level of damage done.
He equally sympathised with the victim of the explosion Miss Merkyaa and promised to look into assisting in her treatment.
The deputy Governor who raised an eye brow regarding students cooking in their rooms called on the school management to look into providing a suitable central kitchen as well as dinning hall for the students to prevent future occurrence.